Flame retardant overalls are essential wear for industrial workers and welders who deal with heat / flame and other metal workers where molten metal or hot sparks are an issue, for example when using angle grinders.
"Flame Resistant overalls" or "FR coveralls" or "anti flame boilersuits": they are all similar - they are just FR oversuits to protect you from flame, heat and burns.
Logically, FR overalls are essential when you work with with a risk of fire, such as near oil and gas or welding equipment. ie in environments where fires are a threat, or around flammable chemicals. FR overalls give you an additional layer of fire-resistant protection between you and the sparks, flashes and flames.
We supply MOLESKIN coveralls such as the Wenaas Moleskin - these are FR coveralls, made of 400-450gms FR treated, heavywoven cotton. They intentionally have no external pockets, nor reflective tape - to avoid sparks catching and burning through. We also supply a lighter, 350gm Industry FR Welding coverall by Wenaas . This is similar to the Wenaas FR Moleskin overalls, but at 350gms it is a lighter alternative boilersuit.
The most popular FR Coveralls, used widely by the contractors, roughnecks and riggers in the toughest, most dangerous rigs of the North Sea, are the Pyrovatex coated cotton, Nordic-style taping, 350gm FR coveralls. These are the red or orange or royal blue or navy FR coveralls by Bulwark, Roots, Wenaas. These FR coveralls have 2" wide strips of nordic style, hi vis reflective tape on all the limbs and shoulders to ensure you are seen.
The Pyrovatex-treated cotton ensures that the overall is FR protected for 50+ washes.
The most progressive buyers are now buying FR overalls with Anti static and even electric Arc protection - such as the Roots FlameBuster R013090 - as these will save lives and equipment where an electric change may otherwise build up and arc.
Most coveralls such as the are 350gsm in fabric weight - which is good for the normal outdoor cold working climates. We also supply lightweight FR overalls - weighing only 250gm usually, such as the Bulwark 250gm Deluxe which is FR and also antistatic. We even do super lightweight coveralls, made of inherently (permanent) FR materials such as Aramids, Meta aramids and Nomex - which is as light as wearing a shirt - only 125gms. The Wenaas Nomex royal blue coverall only weighs 150gms.
We supply WINTER overalls such as the Wenaas Ambassador Insulated overalls range: Winter or thermal insulated overalls are simply FR quilted coveralls. They are used extensively across the North Sea.
We even supply insect repellent FR overalls, such as the Portwest 350gm Insect repellent coverall, typically used in African or hot climates.
Buyers Guide for Flame Retardant (FR)Overalls:
1) Do you only need FR protection? ie Do you also need anti static protection (EN1149) and/or IEC 61428 Electric arc protection?
2) What temperature is your work area? ie Do you need a thermal quilted 350gm FR overall or a just a normal 350gm FR overall or a lightweight/temperate FR overall (250gm) or a tropical FR overall eg 150gm Nomex?
3) Does the FR overall need to be inherent (permanently Flame retardant) - such as Modacrylic or Nomex or Protex or aramid? or will a "normal" cotton coverall, treated with Fr pyrovatex suffice? (This latter is the most popular, as the cotton is usually better value and arguably more comfortable to wear against the skin than manmade inherent fabrics;the pyrovatex coating on the cotton lasts about 50 washes. Over a year the Pyrotvatex may even outlast the garment itself.
4) Do you need your knees? Of course you do! - Well, then buy an overall with knee pad protection
5) For the best fit, we strongly recommend that you buy your coverall based on your chest size in inches". Coveralls that are sizes S/M/L/XL increase each size by 4" inches on the chest - so, logically, you are actually less likely to find the correct fitting overall then if you buy one that increases in 2" increments.
6) Layer Up: You wear FR garments to reduce your risk of skin burn. By layering - wearing layers of, ideally, Fr undergarments, such as FR polo shirt, or FR long johns, you further extend your life (!), and reduce your risk of skin burns.
7) Specialist FR coveralls: Do you need protection from radiant heat? such as in a smelting plant? Or just temporary FR protection? We have a range of disposable FR coveralls from 3M, Dupont Tyvek and Portwest, including the Portwest Biztex SMS.
Certification: The most sought-after flame retardant workwear is certified to EN 531 (now superseded by EN ISO 11612) and also EN 533 for welding (Now superseded by EN ISO 11611).